Scuba diving in Bali with pygmy seahorse.
Pygmy seahorse. 10 Fun facts
1.The pygmy seahorse is the smallest species of seahorse in the world
2. The first pygmy seahorse was not found in the sea but in a laboratory
The next year they were scientifically cataloged for the first time.
The smallest pygmy seahorse was believed to be the Satomi, with a maximum length of 1.4 cm. But in 2018, a scientist discovered the Japanese pygmy seahorse, which is only t 16 mm.
3. The pygmy seahorse is morphologically different from other species of seahorse
They also have a very thin snout compared to that of many other species.
4. Like the rest of seahorse, they have a prehensile tail to be able to hold onto the coral
5. They don’t have teeth nor stomach. Therefore, they have to eat continuously.
6. They are mostly monogamous and it is the male that carries the eggs in his sac during pregnancy
7. The habitat varies between species
They live in different sea fans, coral reefs and walls. Also near soft corals, in seagrass and also algae.
On the other hand, unlike other seahorse, they stay in more or less populated communities. In truth, numerous pairs of pygmy seahorses can be grouped into a single gorgonian.
8. Pygmy seahorse is an expert in the art of camouflage
Their bodies are completely covered by tubercles that mimic the polyps of the gorgonian where they live.
Thanks to this great ability, these tiny creatures have a higher survival rate than most species of seahorses.
Pygmy is so small in size, and as a result it is very difficult to study them. In fact, it is not known for sure what its natural predators are, but it is believed that among these are the long-nosed hawkfish, crabs and even turtles.
It is a very delicate species. In fact, seahorse is sensitive to environmental changes in water temperature and its chemical quality as well. For this reason, humans are one of their biggest enemies.
Pygmys are so beautiful and have such bright colours. As a consequence, they are in high demand by the aquarist.
To sum up, all seahorse are subject to different protection measures worldwide.
10. Where can we see pygmy seahorse in Bali?
The most common pygmies here are Bargibanti and Denise.
Be a responsible diver
Follow the code of conduct of a responsible diver. Control your buoyancy and avoid touching anything underwater. Take only photos and leave only bubbles!
Would you like to dive with us?